The Breast Care Center at Franciscan St. Anthony – Crown Point offers comprehensive services for women, emphasizing "women's wellness" through state-of-the-art diagnostic procedures, follow-up treatment options, education and support.
Franciscan St. Anthony is designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology. That means, you can rest assured that your prescribed imaging test has been completed with the highest level of imaging quality and radiation safety.
Do I Need a Mammogram?
Mammograms are important for early breast cancer detection. It is also used to evaluate a woman who has symptoms of a breast disease and can help tell the difference between noncancerous and cancerous disease. Use our DecisionAssist Tool to help you decide whether or not to have a mammogram.
Breast Care Services
Guided by expert radiologists and dedicated, well-trained clinical staff, the Breast Care Center addresses women's healthcare issues through a multi-disciplinary approach incorporating input from medical oncologists, general and plastic surgeons, radiation oncologists, and pathologists.
- Our staff includes highly professional radiologists and registered mammographers with a combined service of more than 56 years.
- Breast ultrasounds use sound waves to create images of all areas of the breast. Not screening tools for breast cancer, breast ultrasounds can be used to examine growths found by a mammogram or evaluate symptoms like pain or swelling. Because no radiation is used, breast ultrasounds pose virtually no risk.
- For women with a high risk of breast cancer, a breast MRI is a powerful tool to capture images of the breast and find abnormalities that may not be detected by a mammogram or ultrasound. A Breast MRI is noninvasive and is a complement to, rather than a replacement for, a mammogram.
ACR Stereotactic Biopsy
- A non-surgical technique, the stereotactic biopsy procedure accurately locates a suspicious lesion or “microcalcifications" previously detected through mammography. Using a biopsy needle, it then takes tiny sections of tissue for examination and diagnosis.
Mammotome Breast Biopsy through Ultrasound
- A further diagnostic test that employs the use of ultrasound and removes a tissue sample to accurately sample lesions.
R2 ImageChecker™ - A revolutionary, computer-aided mammogram screening technology that uses specialized software to recheck the image and highlight specific characteristics that appear suspicious. The ImageChecker™ improves detection rates by as much as 15%. The Breast Care Center at Franciscan St. Anthony was the first in Northwest Indiana and fourth in the state to offer this new technology.
Breast Cancer Support Group and Education Programs - Facilitated by a professional counselor, these programs are offered free of charge to women diagnosed with breast cancer.
Breast Nurse Services – Our specialized breast nurse answers questions, gives guidance, and provide support to patients.
For more information
Have questions or need additional information about the Burrell Cancer Institute at Franciscan St. Anthony Health? Call us at (219) 757-6285.