A premature birth, a difficult delivery or a birth defect may require a newborn to be admitted to the Franciscan St. Francis Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
Our Level III designation (the only one in South Central Indiana) assures 24-hour availability of in-house, experienced staff to provide comprehensive care for critically ill newborns and management of obstetric complications.
The NICU at Franciscan St. Francis Health – Indianapolis offers advanced procedures, technology and expertise to give very small, or very ill, newborns the best chance for a healthy start in life. Our team of doctors, nurses and other health professionals demonstrate the genuine caring, warmth and sincerity of our Franciscan mission, offer reassurance and confidence to parents and referring physicians alike.
So should your baby need NICU services, you can rest assure that your newborn will be in good hands, as well as under the same roof as you recover.
NICU features include:
- 24 newly designed private rooms – for space, privacy and to promote bonding
- Pull out sofa coach for mom or dad
- Private parent lounge with flat screen TVs, mini library, bath, shower and refreshments
- Scrapbooking station/lessons – to capture every memory of your baby’s first days
- Access to needed education, support and resources to care for your newborn
- NICU Baby Monitor – to monitor your baby 24/7 wherever you are
Multidisciplinary Care Team
Each day, our multidisciplinary healthcare team will visit each newborn. Our team includes:
- Riley Hospital for Children neonatologist and advanced practice providers
- Family practice physicians
- Neonatal registered nurses
- Clinical educators
- Respiratory therapists
- Pediatric dietitians
- Social workers
- Pediatric pharmacists
- Occupational and physical therapists
- Certified lactation consultants