Zucchini and Corn and Cilantro Salad
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 ½ cups cubed zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
Yields 4 servings (serving is ¾ cup)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and corn; cook, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro and remaining ingredients.
- Let cool and serve at room temperature or cold.
Per serving: 62 calories, 1.6g fat, 2.6g protein, 12g carbohydrate, 2.4g fiber, 152mg sodium
Chipotle Flavored Butter
- ½ cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 2-3 chiptole chiles (canned)
- 2 tsp adobo sauce
- Puree all in a blender or food processor.
- Place the butt on a sheet of plastic wrap and cover.
- Roll the butter up and can place in a log shape or leave in air tight container.
- Spread on corn and enjoy!
Sweet Corn Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Makes 8 servings (1 serving is ½ cup)
- Set a box grater in a large bowl. Using the large holes, grate corn kernels off the cobs. Discard cobs.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cream, milk and corn. Bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk sugar and egg yolks until pale and thick. When cream mixture reaches a simmer, slowly ladle ½ cup of it into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Repeat with another ½ cup ladleful. Reduce heat to low, whisk warmed egg mixture into saucepan and cook, whisking until mixture thickens a bit, about 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a medium bowl, stir in vanilla, cover with plastic wrap (letting the wrap sit directly on the mixture's surface) and chill at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight plastic container and freeze up to overnight.
Per serving: 242 calories, 4.7g protein, 16g fat, 23g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 43mg sodium, 143mg cholesterol