Maple Muffin with Cinnamon Streusel Topping
Yield: 12 muffins
- All-Purpose Flour - 2
- Ground Cinnamon - 2
- Baking Powder - 1
- Baking Soda - ½ tsp
- Brown Sugar - 1/3 cup
- Banana, Mashed - 3
- Egg, Large - 2
- Low-fat Buttermilk - ½
- Vanilla Extract - 1
- Vegetable Oil - ¼
- Maple Syrup - 2
Old Fashioned Dry Oatmeal -3Tbsp
Unsalted Butter - 1
Ground Cinnamon - ¼
All-Purpose Flour -1
Chopped Walnuts - ¼
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray muffin tins with nonstick spray or line
with paper liners.
a large bowl combine: Flour, Cinnamon, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Brown Sugar.
In a separate medium bowl combine: Banana (mashed), Egg, Buttermilk, Vanilla, Vegatable Oil and Maple Syrup.
Add egg mixture to dry ingredients until combined - do not overmix.
For struesel topping, combine in small bowl: Oatmeal, Walnuts, Flour, Cinnamon and Butter.
Pour 1/3 of the muffin mixture into each muffin tin.
Sprinkle 1 heaping teaspoon of struesle topping onto each muffin before baking.
Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for about 10 minutes before removing from pan. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (5 medium size), peeled
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch allspice
- 8 oz can unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Cut the sweet potatoes into large chunks; boil potatoes in a large pot covered with water until potatoes are soft if pierced with a fork. Drain and return to the pot.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mash the sweet potatoes (you can use an immersion blender) and add raisins, agave, spices and pineapple.
- Lightly spray a pie dish, casserole dish or even individual ramekins with oil, spook in sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with pecans and marshmallows. Bake for 15 minutes.
Makes 10 servings. Contains 132 calories, 1.8 grams fat, 1.5 grams protein, 29.5 grams carbohydrate, 2.7 grams fiber and 15.4 milligrams sodium.
Healthy Holiday Stuffing
- 2/3 lb bread (Sara Lee 45 calories and delicious), cubed
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp sage
- 1 Tbsp Thyme
- ½ Tbsp Parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut bread into small cubes and place on a greased cookie sheet while baking for 15 minutes. Rotate and toss half way through baking. Remove bread from oven and set aside.
- In a pan combine the diced onion and celery with olive oil, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. Add ½ cup of chicken broth and cook on medium heat for 20 minute, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine with bread. Add 1 cup chicken broth and mix well. Add the additional broth if it is too dry. Serve and enjoy!
Makes 6-8 servings. Contains 150 calories per serving.
Green Bean Casserole
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 ½ pounds of green beans fresh or frozen
- 10 ounces of mushrooms (regular button mushrooms and shiitake)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- Ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp dry sherry
- ¾ cup 2% milk
- 1 ½ slices of whole grain bread
- 1 Tbsp margarine
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/16 tsp ground black pepper
- Beans - Bring the water to boil in large pot, add beans and cook for 6 minutes. Drain the beans in a colander and spray for a minute with cold water to stop the cooking. Let them drain in the colander.
- Sauce – Trim and discard the mushroom stems and chop into pieces. Spray a non-stick pan with canola oil and heat on stove. Add the mushrooms, garlic, cayenne, pepper. Cook until mushrooms are very soft and exude their juices. Whisk flour into vegetable broth and add to the mushrooms along with the sherry. Simmer, stirring until mixture thickens. Add the 2% milk and simmer until thick (about 5-10 minutes). Adjust the seasonings to taste and stir in the beans.
- Topping – Put the bread, margarine, salt and pepper into food processor and pulse until crumbly.
- Assemble – Put the green beans into an oiled casserole dish and top with bread mixture. Bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes.
Makes 8 servings. Contains 102 calories per serving, 36 calories from fat, 3.8 grams of fat, 1026 milligrams of sodium, 13.9 grams carbohydrates, 3.8 grams fiber, 3.8 grams protein.
- 8 oz fresh cranberries
- 20 oz can pineapple in pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup sugar or agave nectar
- Drain the liquid from the pineapples into a measuring cup. Add water so that you have a total of 1 cup of liquid. Add to sauce pan with sugar and bring to a boil.
- Place cranberries in a food processor and chop fine. Add to pan and stir well. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thick (10 minutes)
- Place pineapple in food processor and chop. Added crushed pineapples to cranberry sauce and cook for 1 more minute.
- Allow to cool then place in a covered container and refrigerate overnight.
Makes 3 cups and servings 12. Contains 54.5 calories per serving, 0.2 grams fat, 13.9 grams carbohydrate and 1.2 grams fiber.
Skinny Pumpkin Pie
- 15 oz canned pumpkin
- 2 Tbsp light butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, unpacked
- ½ cup fat free milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 frozen pie crush sheet, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly dust a large cutting board or flat surface with flour. Roll out a room temperature pie crush sheet, so that it becomes thin enough to cut off 30%, so that your final crust is 5 oz. Place into a 9 inch pie dish, cutting off excess dough. You can use all of the dough, but this will increase calories.
- Place pumpkin in a large bowl. Add light butter and mix well. Using the electric mixer, mix in brown sugar, milk, eggs, egg whites, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Serve with whipped topping and enjoy.
Makes 8 servings. Contains 172 calories per serving, 6.4 grams fat, 31.4 grams carbohydrates, 1.7 grams fiber, 3.5 grams protein and 143 milligrams sodium.