Submitted by Nicky Smith, LMHC with the Employee Assistance Program of Franciscan Alliance - Northwest Indiana"Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn, or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude." - Denis Waitley
May this year become a time of new beginnings for you. A time to limit placing conditions on becoming happier. Instead of saying "I will be happy when ..." or "If only I have ... then I will be happy" consider the list below. Choose one or two things that you can do on a regular basis and notice how your view of happiness expands.
- Visualize the best possible future for yourself and others.
- Laugh as if you have heard the funniest joke.
- Donate things you no longer use.
- Practice forgiveness.
- Set aside time for one spiritual practice such as prayer, reading the scriptures, or attending church service.
- Volunteer your time to help others in need.
- Spend more time nurturing relationships and surround yourself with supportive people.
- Set limits on time you spend working without breaks.
- Be generous with compliments to encourage others…and please remember to begin and end each day with gratitude!